Tuesday, September 11, 2007

A Confession

I had to share what just happened to me because it's just so absurd as to be unbelievable. I'm always complaining about how these boys are in the middle of a long process of trashing our house. We're planning to live here until it's completely ruined, and then sell it to a nice family of raccoons or something. Anyway, more often that not it is the adults in the house who are busy trashing it. Every time I see the stain where I spilled black shoe polish I think about how much cheaper and more fun it would've been to just buy new black shoes than have to replace the stupid carpet!

So tonight...I got the boys in bed and decided to indulge myself by eating the last piece of chocolate cake. I felt like this piece of cake would be even more enjoyable if it had chocolate syrup drizzled all over it. And wouldn't it be great to have a small glass of milk with it? Oh you know that sounds good. I also thought it might be nice to sit upstairs, fire up the DVR, and watch the season premier of a show that I'm too embarassed to name (starts with O and ends with H).

As I was taking my treat up the stairs it occurred to me that there really wasn't enough to share, and Jackson's teeth had already been brushed. I knew he'd see me with it, so rather than tempt him with the cake I tried to hide the plate behind my back on the way up. Almost instantly, I knew this was a big mistake. I felt something wet on my hand and then heard thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump as the cake rolled off the plate and bounced on every lower step stamping the carpet with chocolate syrup all the way down.

I set the milk down at the top of the stairs and ran down to the kitchen to get a towel. Luckily the chocolate came up, but my internal voice was very angry about having to spot clean the stairs since I have been working and cooking and cleaning all day. This was supposed to be my time to relax. Now considering it was the last piece of cake and the carpet had just recently been vacuumed and the 3 second rule was in effect, I did retrieve the cake and made my way back upstairs. Whereupon I knocked over the cup of milk spilling it all over the upper steps. Nice.

5 comments:

CM

Sometimes you have to suffer for chocolate. I'm glad you used the 3 second rule - it would have been a shame to waste that cake.

CM

Oh, and I watched the season premeire of that one show too. Shhh, don't tell anyone. :)

jonna

Beautiful. Sounds like one of the bad blooper outtakes that occur all too frequently at our house. Back when our current carpet was it's original off-white (it really was once...ha) I went to sit down on the couch with a piece of chocolate pie. Instead of putting the remote on the floor, my brain crossed wires and set the chocolate pie face down on the carpet. There was no saving the carpet or the pie!

JessBless

Oh, thank goodness I'm not the only one that does things like this!!!! I totally feel your pain! But, I thought it was the 10 second rule. Oops! But, even now that I know it's 3, I think I'll stick to 10 because the time allowance will let me eat a lot more extra "retieved" food. :)

twarpula

Beth that one had me laughing! At least you still got to have the cake, but having to clean before eating it really stinks!
Oh and I watched that show too. I guess we're all in the club. :)
Tanya

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist C' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP