Saturday, October 20, 2007

My 100 things

Okay, for my friends and family who do not read all the blogs on my list, let me explain. Several of my friends have done these lists of 100 things about themselves. I decided to try it since I can't think of anything else to write about tonight. Here we go...

1. My full name is Elizabeth Ann Foster Hames.
2. I was born in Texarkana (Texas side).
3. People from Texarkana have to specify which state they are from when they meet each other. Texas side or Arkansas side. (And the word "side" must be pronounced almost like "sad" because the long "i" is difficult for us.)
4. I love/miss East Texas because of the tall trees and friendly people.
5. I graduated 11th in my class in high school.
6. That still bugs me.
7. I went to Harding University.
8. I finished in 3 years because my parents said they'd give me $1000 for every year I graduated early.
9. That seemed like a good deal at the time.
10. It worked out pretty good for them.
11. I only sent out one resume after graduation.
13. It was to Harpo Productions.
12. I'm still waiting to hear back from them.
13. When I was in high school I thought I would live in New York and marry a man at least ten years older than me and never have kids.
14. I've been to 38 states.
15. I've been to Alaska 3 times.
16. I found out I had a gambling addiction when I spent a week in Vegas for work once.
17. The most afraid I think I've ever been was driving through a massive wind and rain storm in the Texas panhandle on the way home from Colorado in 2003. I will never forget it.
18. One year, I got stuck in an elevator for about an hour on my birthday.
19. My favorite day of the whole year is the first day when it's a little bit cold. There's always one day where there's a cold snap and you know that summer is almost over.
20. We haven't had it yet this year.
22. I'm not a big fan of Halloween.
23. I don't like to wear costumes or display scary, ugly, or dead-looking things around the house.
24. Christmas is my favorite holiday.
25. Except I wish it wasn't so much about the presents.
26. Getting presents embarrasses me a little bit for some reason.
27. But I don't like to not get presents either. haha
28. I'm the room mom for Luke's class at preschool.
29. I think the names of the other kids in his class are very unusual. (Skye, Bliss, Banks, and Berkley)
30. Before kids, I would go to the movies 2 or 3 times a week and rent movies to watch at home on the other nights.
31. I just discovered that I love an author named Tom Wolfe.
32. But I'm sad because he's pretty old and he's only written 3 novels, and I've read two of them.
33. I read Moby Dick once because I felt like I should.
34. It took about 6 months, but I finished it.
35. It was so difficult for me to understand that I wasn't even entirely sure what happened at the end which was a huge let down. I had to confirm what I thought happened by reading the Cliff Notes. (Do not recommend reading Moby Dick.)
36. I bought several canvas grocery bags, but I can never remember to bring them into the store with me.
37. I used to be a dog person, but I'm not anymore.
38. I'm not the type of person interested in life-threatening things like sky diving or bungee jumping.
39. But I would risk it all to go to space.
40. I've never colored my hair.
41. But I will when I can't keep up with plucking out the grays.
42. Speaking of plucking...I've been trying to let my eyebrows grow back because I saw a video of myself and thought I looked a little like Cruella DeVille.
43. I love my job.
44. My favorite color is navy blue.
45. I love sweets.
46. My current favorite ice cream is Ben and Jerry's Brownie Batter.
47. When I was a kid I was really into stickers and four-square.
48. In high school my friend and I would steal salt and pepper shakers from fast food restaurants.
49. We had a huge collection.
50. I have no idea why we did this.
51. I feel like I never have any time.
52. For a couple of years in the mid-90's, I had muscle definition in my legs.
53. I only drink one Diet Coke a day, but I feel like I should give it up.
54. I love to crack open an icy cold Diet Coke and drink the first sip down really fast so that it makes my eyes water.
55. I do not like to talk on the phone very much at all accept to my mom and my sister.
56. I prefer to chat. (on the computer)
57. I can't stand the smell of bananas, but I've had to get over that since having the boys.
58. I could live on cereal.
59. It's hard for me to call people close to me by their real names. I usually have nicknames for people.
60. I finally had the wet bar in our gameroom removed on Thursday.
61. My current favorite snacks are Pirate's Booty and yogurt pretzels.
62. I haven't washed any of my own clothes in two or three weeks. I can't even remember.
63. I have no idea what I'm going to wear to church tomorrow.
64. Someday I think I'll take up painting.
65. I wish I could be a vegetarian, but I don't like vegetables all that much.
66. The DVR is my favorite invention.
67. I don't really enjoy cooking.
68. I got married to Mat in Round Top, Texas.
69. It was outside at a beautiful bed and breakfast.
70. It truly was one of the best days of my life.
71. I found out later that two people rode up on their horses and watched the wedding from the fence.
72. I love seeing people getting married that I don't know. You know? Like driving by a church when the bride and groom are coming out - that sort of thing.
73. I watched a couple get married in a beautiful park in San Francisco once. And once in Little Rock at the Old Mill.
74. We went out to a fancy restaurant in Paris, and I enjoyed the potato side dish that I was eating so much that I asked the waiter for seconds.
75. My husband was very embarrassed by this, but when am I going to be back in Paris?!
76. I like to think the chef was flattered. Besides he didn't know that I'm from Texarkana/Oak Hill.
77. One of my most embarassing moments was when I flew home from Girl's State when I was in the 11th grade. I fell asleep on the plane with my mouth full of Skittles. When I woke up there was rainbow drool all over my chin.
78. And one time I was flying to Key West by myself for work. Somehow I fell asleep on the way from Dallas to Miami with my head laying on the magazine I was reading. I woke up, gathered my carry-ons, got off the plane, walked all the way through the airport in Miami to my connecting flight, waited at the gate for an hour, finally went to the bathroom and discovered that half of my face was totally black where the ink had rubbed off the magazine while I was sleeping.
79. I used to be borderline narcoleptic.
80. I would have trouble staying awake just driving around town.
81. I used to go to Subway for lunch, eat in my car, and then take a little nap before going back to work.
82. One time I ran into another car right after lunch because I woke up and realized I was late getting back to work and started driving while I was still kinda groggy.
83. Now I have trouble falling asleep at all, then I have to wake up over and over all night long
84. I love my boys, though, even if they do keep me up at night.
85. And I always miss them when they're sleeping. Crazy, I know!
86. It makes me feel good when I know that they need me.
87. I buy almost all my clothes at the Banana Republic Outlet Store, and I only go two or three times a year.
88. I don't like jazz.
89. But a like music from pretty much every other genre.
90. I don't really like old movies (other than Hitchcock) because the acting and dialogue are so unrealistic.
91. I think movies started getting good in the 70's.
92. I like to sing the third verse to Away in a Manger all the time as my constant prayer.
93. It goes: Be near me Lord Jesus, I ask thee to stay, Close by me forever, And love me I pray. Bless all the dear children, In thy tender care, And take us to Heaven, To live with thee there.
94. This is on the CD "Christmastime with The Judds" which is one of my favorites and a highlight of the holiday season for me.
95. My favorite meal is my mom's roast beef, mashed potatos with brown gravy, biscuits, fried okra, and pecan pie. YUM.
96. You could substitute peach cobbler or any cold desssert made with cream cheese and it would still maintain favorite status.
97. I've been slightly disappointed with "The Office" this season.
98. I support the FairTax.
99. I would not rather live anywhere other than here in Austin.
100. It took me about two hours to think of these 100 things, and Lukey just woke up. Perfect timing...

8 comments:

David

Beth,
I could think of a lot more embarrassing things, from growing up together, than rainbow drool.
David

Beth Hames

Davey,
Don't even think about it. You are banned from posting on my blog!!!
Beth

David

Be nice, I could really embarass you. This is actually the first time I've read your blog. It was fun.

jonna

Great list...and oh to be borderline narcoleptic! Thanks for taking the 2 hours...

simply fabulous

I love #93! Sweet!

twarpula

Wow Beth that was great!! Love the airplane stories!! Gave me a good laugh, as you always do.
-Tanya

CM

I totally thought about you today. I was feeding Taylor mini M&Ms (bad mom, I know). I was sitting on the floor and he was standing next to me with his arm on my shoulder holding himself up. He kept leaning over me with his mouth open to get to the box of candy. And every time he leaned over me he would drool rainbow colors of the melted M&Ms from his mouth onto my chest. I think it must have been like the rainbow skittle drool. It made me feel like I was living part of your blog entry.

Andrea

I want to see your wedding pictures. Great creative list!

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist C' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP